June 3, 2023
10:15 am - 11:30 am
Join us for an Introductory Open Water Clinic led by two experienced CIBBOWS instructors. This program starts with a safety briefing on the beach so swimmers learn what to look for and how to orient themselves when swimming in open water. The group then practices water entries and exits, swimming short distances from the shore, treading water, floating, and being aware of other swimmers and landmarks. The clinic lasts for one hour of which about 45 mins will be in the water.
Requirements: No previous open water swim experience necessary but participants must know how to swim about 200 yards without stopping, be able to float, tread water, and not be prone to panic attacks. We have another program, Learn to Love Ocean Swimming, for those with severe open water fears. Please note this is not a learn to swim program.
Please be sure to hydrate beforehand, bring extra water, and plenty of sunscreen and read our essentials page before attending. We will swim rain or shine, but we do not swim in thunderstorm conditions.
The hour class will include:
- Introduction to CIBBOWS and open water swimming (on the beach)
- Orientation on the beach, identifying landmarks, jetties, lifeguards, flags
- Discuss swimming equipment, how to avoid chafing, sunburn, hydration, cramps etc.
- Practice water entry and exit
- Float in the ocean and learn how to check the current
- Learn how to swim straight in the ocean by sighting
- Try out safety strokes e.g. elementary backstroke
- Learn how to swim in a group
Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Venue: Grimaldo's Chair