July 2, 2022
10:15 am - 11:30 am
Join us for an Introductory Open Water Clinic led by experienced CIBBOWS core instructors. Swimmers will be given a safety orientation on the beach, then go into the water and swim a short distance, this will be repeated several times so swimmers get comfortable getting into the ocean, floating, treading water, being aware of surroundings and swimming in the waves. The clinic lasts for one hour. Requirements: No previous open water swim experience necessary but participants must know how to swim, be able to float, tread water, and swim at least 200 yards in a pool without stopping. Please note – this is not a learn to swim program. Please be sure to hydrate beforehand, bring extra water, and plenty of sunscreen and read our essentials page before attending. We will swim rain or shine, but we do not swim in thunderstorm conditions.
The hour class will include:
- Introduction to CIBBOWS and open water swimming (on the beach)
- Orientation on the beach, identifying landmarks, jetties, lifeguards, flags
- Discuss swimming equipment, how to avoid chafing, sunburn, hydration, cramps etc.
- Practice water entry and exit
- Float in the ocean and learn how to check the current
- Learn how to swim straight in the ocean by sighting
- Try out safety strokes e.g. elementary backstroke
- Learn how to swim in a group
Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Venue: Grimaldo's Chair