June 24, 2023
10:15 am - 11:30 am
Race training for open water is designed to better prepare you for your open water competition or triathlon race. You will practice beach and in-water starts, buoy turns, beach finishes, drafting, strategy and basic open water swim race rules. This program is a great way to get race-day-ready for those who are new to open water racing or triathlons.
Requirements: This swim is for competitive swimmers who are comfortable swimming at least a mile in the open water. Please be sure to hydrate beforehand, bring extra water, Gu or equivalent swim feed (something that can fit in your cap – if you want to practice a feed) and plenty of sunscreen and read our essentials page before attending. We will swim rain or shine, but we do not swim in thunderstorm conditions.
What does a Race Training Session involve?
- Rules of OWS racing, pacing, strategy, feeding and training
- Safety orientation of the beach
- Running starts, lifting lower legs with heels up over waves and dolphin dive
- Practice swimming in a group
- Practice swimming straight and sighting
- Breathing in waves, surfing waves
- Buoy turns using a backstroke technique around the coach
- Practice feeding with GU or equivalent while in water
- Drafting with explanation of drafting rules
- Racing in waves (if conditions allow)
- Sprint finishes – switching to sprint swimming and running up the beach
Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
|The Clinic Participant ($15.00 (USD)) is available to members only. On Sale|
Venue: Grimaldo's Chair