- June 27, 2021
10:15 am - 11:30 am
Race training for open water is designed to better prepare you for your open water swim or triathlon race. You will learn starts, buoy turns, finishes, drafting, strategy and basic rules. This swim is a great way to get race-ready for those who are new to open water racing or triathlons. Requirements: This swim is for competitive swimmers who are comfortable swimming at least 500 yards in the open water.
If you are not vaccinated, please consider wearing a mask while in the group on the beach. Do not come if: 1) you or your family members are sick, 2) if you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days OR if 3) You have had close contact with a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case.
What does a Race Training Session involve?
- Explain what the swimmers will learn over the next hour
- Explain basic rules of OWS racing, pacing, strategy, feeding and training
- Give basic safety orientation of the beach
- Practice running starting, lifting lower legs with heels up and dolphin dive
- Swimming in a group
- Practice sighting
- Breathing in waves, surfing waves
- Buoy turns using a backstroke technique around the coach
- Practice feeding with GU or equivalent while in water
- Drafting with explanation of drafting rules
- Racing in waves (if conditions allow)
- Sprint finishes – switching to sprint swimming and running up the beach
Venue: Grimaldo's Chair