• April 29, 2024 at 2:50 pm #23899
      Colin
      Participant

Hi, new member here. My name is Colin and I’m training for a triathlon in early June, and was hoping to get some open water practice in before that. I train regularly in a pool and have done a bunch of open water swimming before (though in San Francisco, where the water is cold but not quite as cold as it is here).

I’ve gathered that regular group swims don’t really start until after Memorial Day, but from perusing the forum it seems like there are some unofficial swims that happen before that. I’m hoping to get down to Brighton Beach on weekends throughout May and get a few ~45 minute swims in and was wondering if there’s any other forum where folks organize those meetups (e.g., meetup times, bag watchers, etc.)?

Would be great to meet up if others are around and swimming as a group already – let me know.

• April 29, 2024 at 3:36 pm #23900

Hi Colin. There’s no formal meet time in the off season – people tend to come in the mornings around 8:30 on weekdays and 9-10am on weekends. There’s a far larger crowd on weekends. Bags are left at your own risk – but usually there’s bunches of people hanging around and socializing. Do not bring anything valuable that you would worry about leaving behind, or put it in a swim buoy. Keep in mind that off-season swimming is technically prohibited and there are no lifeguards.

• May 2, 2024 at 8:10 am #23945
      Colin
      Participant

Thanks! I know it’s not a formal club-sponsored thing in the off season, but are there any details around when exactly/where people meet up on weekends? Or is it really just show up an see if anyone’s around?

• May 2, 2024 at 8:14 am #23946

The “where” is directly down from Brighton 4th St. The “when” is what I already said – but yes, it’s a show up and see if people are there thing. Around 9-10 on weekends will definitely be folks but some do show up in the late morning or early afternoon. Weekdays people tend to go earlier but 9 am is the best time to shoot for.

Reply To: May swims
Your information: