• October 18, 2021 at 11:09 am #9096
      Dan Freed

Hello! I am hoping for some guidance here as I would like to swim all year at Brighton Beach if possible. My main question is about a wetsuit. I have used wetsuit shirts a couple of times and found them pretty uncomfortable, but it looks like there’s a huge range of comfort (and price) out there. I LOVE swimming outdoors and would drop even $1000K on a wetsuit if I knew I was going to use it 100+ times. My fear is that I will get an expensive suit and either find that I don’t like it and/or that swimming 3-4 days a week at Brighton in the winter is just not for me. Another factor is wetsuit care and maintenance. If I need to wash my wetsuit after every use and it takes 20 minutes to wash, that may be too much of a hassle for me. Anyway–I’d be very grateful for your suggestions.

• October 18, 2021 at 11:40 am #9097
      Kristina Saxena

Hi Dan, I bought my wetsuit through Xterra
      And then I discovered their outlet, and I got so many great deals through their outlet,
      I know own 4 wetsuits, of various thicknesses and sleeves, and I think two of them I paid $29 each… worth it!
      Anyway, I have so many that I decided to cut the legs off of one of the really thin ones, so now I have a Shorty, which I like, because it gives me another option for when it’s still warm-ish but just chilly enough that I need something.

I rinse my wetsuits out in the shower,
      I definitely do not give them a 20 minute wash, but I give them a good rinse.
      I definitely get a lot of wear out of them.

It is super important, so follow the directions on the website very carefully in terms of fitting it properly to your body.

• October 18, 2021 at 11:43 am #9098
      Liam

Hey Dan, Sounds like a 3mm ripcurl or something similar might do you. They make these surf wetsuits with great seamless underarms now….You’ll get in and out of it quick in the cold…. and obviously you can bump up the thickness if you aren’t into the cold…. Otherwise I’d recommend a base level orca. They don’t last long. Soaking suits at the start of a season is meant to help, and no rings or jewels etc with the swim specific suits. Also size up with the swim specific suits. They are made for aliens. Best to try-on rather than online purchase; to get the size right. There is a bunch of swimmers who have been swimming in the early mornings who can advise better. Socks, Gloves, and helmet/hat are obviously essentials, seeing as most people wear those without any wet suit.

• October 25, 2021 at 2:42 pm #9126
      Dan Freed

Thanks to you both!

• December 29, 2021 at 12:07 am #9398
      Pia Hinckle

Greetings, I am a San Francisco open water swimmer (year round) who will be living in NYC for January and February. I’m interested in trying out winter swimming there. SF Bay current water temperature is about 51 degrees. I swim skins and caps for about 30 mins. Are there any all year skin swimmers there? Is there a weekend meet up? And what is best way to get there from manhatten? Thanks much

• December 29, 2021 at 5:55 pm #9405
        Liam Shea Hartigan
        Participant

Yes there is. I’ve definitely witnessed illegal swimming on the weekends at Brighton Beach of a weekend. The Q train works best to land you at Brighton Beach, but many other trains head to Coney that connect with the Q. I’ve mainly seen the culprits hanging around “Grimaldo’s Chair” off Brighton 4… there is no real chair of course, as it’s a life guards chair, and they are all away for the winter… hence it’s not a permitted activity. Plenty of peeps with no suits. And plenty with suits. All criminals!:))))

• December 29, 2021 at 5:52 pm #9404
      Juliet Kadlecek
      Participant

Hi Pia,

I’ll be swimming Thursdays and Sundays in Jan & Feb 2022. I am in Stuytown and drive. Reach out if you want a lift. Also, I’m in SF now and will swim at SERC Thursday (12/30) morning at 8. I’m at julietkadlecek@gmail.com

• December 29, 2021 at 6:00 pm #9406

Saturdays and Sundays around 10-11:oo am is when most swimmers show up, though there’ll be various little groups coming and going starting around 9 until usually noon or so. I’d say come about 10:30 either day for maximum meeting people time.

• January 5, 2022 at 10:59 am #9440
        Carrie Sadovnik
        Participant

Hi Pia, What time do you swim on Thursdays? I work close-ish to BB and am looking for an early (7:30 or so) start time. Carrie

• January 5, 2022 at 11:39 am #9441
          Pia Hinckle

Hi Carrie, I’m still in California right now but it sounds like there are regular weekend swimmers. Also Juliet, who replied to this thread earlier, mentioned Thursday swimming. Good luck and hopefully I will see you sometime this winter on the beach!

• December 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm #9413
      Pia Hinckle

Thanks all! Looking forward to meeting some of you nut jobs. Happy New year!

• January 2, 2022 at 12:23 am #9417
      Andrew

Hi!

Happy New Year!

Will members be swimming this January & February? Thanks!

• January 2, 2022 at 10:32 am #9418

Hi Andrew! There are swimmers on the beach all year round. Most come on weekends around 10am-noon.

• January 2, 2022 at 10:32 am #9419

Hi Andrew! There are swimmers on the beach all year round. Most come on weekends around 10am-noon.

• January 2, 2022 at 1:59 pm #9420
          Andrew

Thank you Jacqueline!

• January 3, 2022 at 8:52 pm #9430
      Andrew

Hi,

I ordered a 5mm wetsuit, along with a cap, gloves & booties. This is my 1st time ever wearing a wetsuit & swimming in cold water. What should I expect?

Regards,

Andrew

• January 9, 2022 at 7:32 pm #9448
      Terri G

Andrew, there are both wetsuits and non wetsuit swimmers. Bring wool layers to change into, and keep in mind it’s a big temperature drop, so stay close in on the first few swims. Listen to your body and get out early. There’s some helpful cold water swimming info on https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com.
      Come around 10:30/11 and there should be people at the beach on Sat/sun.
      PS if you can wear your wetsuit to the beach that might make it easier than trying to get into at the beach.Bring dry clothes, wool hat and a warm drink for post swim.

• January 9, 2022 at 7:33 pm #9449
      Terri G

PS Andrew bring earplugs (wax is fine or plastic) if you have them

• January 10, 2022 at 12:04 am #9450
        Andrew

Thank you!

Reply To: newbie seeking wetsuit and other cold weather swimming advice
Your information:

Topic Tags