• February 22, 2018 at 2:44 pm #680

Post any community related inquiries here – maybe you’re looking for swim buddies, perhaps you need help with a training plan. Please be respectful and helpful – and happy swimming!

• April 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm #1358
    Jacob Manalac

Hi,

When will the open water swims start this year? Will it be Saturday/Sunday May 26th and 27th? Will this be the first weekend where the swims will be hosted?

Thanks in advance.

Jacob

• May 9, 2018 at 5:11 pm #1491
    Karyn Mullin
    Participant

looks to me like June 2nd will be the first CLINIC, however, there is a fee attached to these this year? I don’t remember paying last year.

• May 9, 2018 at 9:30 pm #1492

Hi Karyn! You are correct in that clinics were included with membership fee last year. However, we have added a small admin fee to reserve a spot – mainly because we pay our clinic instructors and in the past there have been a lot of no-shows or repeat attendees. We feel that this nominal fee is still a great bargain compared to the hundreds of dollars other clubs charge for their clinics, and it allows us to keep top-notch instructors. Hope that explains it and we hope to see you at a clinic.

• May 9, 2018 at 9:31 pm #1493

Jacob – I believe we corresponded in email – my apologies for missing this post – YES, it’s Saturday May 26. Hope to see you then!

• May 18, 2018 at 2:17 pm #1544
    Jacob Manalac

Thanks Jacqueline! I’m gonna try my luck this Sunday, hoping to meet other swimmers there. I registered for a sprint distance tri event on June 3rd and I have not practiced on open water! As you said, I’ll start with a short swim, I won’t stay in too long. I want to at least have a feel of how it is to swim with my wetsuit on.

• May 22, 2018 at 11:38 pm #1575
    This Saturday may 26

Will there be swimming this Saturday or sun or Monday ? If so, what time should we be at Grimaldos chair? There will be bag watching, right? Thank you. Maggie mschwarzny@aol.com

• May 23, 2018 at 8:05 am #1576

Yes Maggie – the season starts on Saturday! We’ll be at Grimaldo’s Chair starting around 10am all three days.

• May 25, 2018 at 12:46 pm #1590
    Klara

Hi! I know there’s a clinic for memebers next weekend, but I’m totally new to open water swimming and looking to get some practice in before a scheduled tri mid-June. I’m not adverse to joining as a member, but have to budget and probably can’t for another 2-3 weeks.

Two questions: first, can I come to the swims THIS weekend as a total newbie and non memeber? Second, can non-members pay the $40 to attend the beginner clinics?

Thanks.

• May 25, 2018 at 3:11 pm #1591

Hi Klara – Unfortunately we can only offer clinics to members right now – it’s due to insurance – but you are more than welcome to come, hang out, meet other swimmers, and swim with us in an informal capacity. If you talk to folks and find someone roughly your speed, I’m sure people would welcome you to swim with them. Our weekend hangouts are pretty loose. Just come by and join us! And if you end up joining as a member in another week or 2, you can probably get a clinic or two in before your Tri.

• May 26, 2018 at 9:58 pm #1593
    David Wallman
    Participant

Hi,
    I am hoping to do my 4 hour qualifying swim for Ederle-Burke on Monday (Labor Day) and will need an observer. If anyone is already planning going to Coney Island that day, I could use some help.
    Thanks,

-David

• June 4, 2018 at 10:28 am #1649
    Louise Darlington
    Participant

Hi all: let my membership lapse , so happy to be back! cheers

• June 18, 2018 at 7:42 pm #1729
    Maddie

Hello! I would love to join up for the weekend swims, are the lockers on the boardwalk available during these times? Or is there another way to secure metro cards and keys? Thank you

• July 5, 2018 at 8:21 pm #2181
    Richard Realmuto
    Participant

Hi, I am the blind swimmer and a new member and have signed up for the Jetty clinic on July 8. Need to get in contact with Pat for the Jetty drill on this Sunday to make an arrangement for a buddy or buddies to assist me. Please contact me to let me know if this can be worked out.
    Thanks so much. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Rich Realmuto

• July 11, 2018 at 1:49 pm #2598
    Pierre Santos

Hi!

I have severe deep water anxiety, and I had to defer my 2018 NYC triathlon because after 5 open water swim training I felt I was not mentally ready. One of the volunteers of NYC tri told me about CIBBOWS and advised me to look into your program. I don’t know if this is the right group for me to help me conquer my anxiety in deep water, but I am hoping you could be of help to me.

Thanks and all the best,
    Pierre

• July 12, 2018 at 8:08 pm #2616
    Richard Realmuto
    Participant

Pierre,

• July 28, 2018 at 7:35 am #2691
    Constance Sasso
    Participant

Hello Pierre!
    Have you connected with any of the CIBBOWS people yet?
    I’ve also got open water swim “issues” and have participated in several triathlons (including NYC).

CIBBOWS has been an amazing resource for me!
    If you’d like to discuss further please feel free to email me!

Constance

• September 14, 2018 at 3:38 pm #2975
    Marit Boots

Hi,

I will be visiting New York on October 23rd and would love to have a short swim alongside Manhattan in the morning. Is this possible somewhere and maybe a swimbuddy who wants to meet up and have a fun swim?

Thanks,
    Marit

• October 19, 2018 at 6:54 pm #3243
    Elana

Is anyone swimming tomorrow morning? If so, what time?

Thanks

Reply To: Welcome to the new CIBBOWS swim chat
Your information:

Cancel
Topic Tags